Wednesday, August 09, 2006

More thieves?

Well, unfortuntaly, during a recent trip to Orvietto, my camera dissapeared (small point and shoot, not my SLR). A friend and I went there on the weekend, there's a very large and impressive cathedral, and some underground caves and such. On the way back I was lying down on a bench, waiting for the train, and had my camera on my chest as it was uncomfortable in my pocket. The train arrived and I picked it up and can't recall if I held on to it, or put it in a pocket, or what. When I went to enter the carriage, an elderly lady was getting off. She had a bunch of bags and, being the friendly Canadian, I helped her get her bags off. I then gave her bags to her son (in his 40s) and got on the train. I recall going to the washroom after the train left, but can't recall my camera. I realized it was gone half an hour later when the local train musician came along playing his accordian looking for money. So I have no clue when it went missing.

My parents think I might have been set up, but I'm not so sure. I'm being super optimistic, and hoping it ended up in the bag of that old lady and she found it and will turn it in to the police, whom I will give my cameras serial number to and all will go well. That would be a miracle, but I'm willing. Maybe someone grabbed it from my seat as they walked by?

As for the weekend, we did the trip to Orvietto on Saturday, and then Florence on Sunday. There's an incredible well in Orvietto, built because the pope was using it as a hide-away from constant attacks on Rome. Orvietto was also being besieged often, so a well was needed inside the city walls. This thing must have been 100 meters deep. There are intertwined steps the whole way down, so they could use donkeys (I think) to go down and get water while another was coming up. Very impressive indeed.

I couldn't believe how touristy Florence was, I can't imagine having to live in a city that is a constant show for the rest of the world. Line ups to get into the Cathedrals and musems and such are so long, and it's a sunday so they're aren't open long. We made it into a few places, like the Santa Croce, an old Cathedral and a bit of a museum. Contains some famous works and even the tomb of Michelangelo.

Well, I must be going, I will post more often, I promise. But maybe not this weekend. I'm off to Sciliy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home