Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Still Alive

Sorry to those of you who have been eagerly awaiting a new update. I'm just having such a good time, I kinda forgot about you guys. I'm only kidding. To be honest, I just encountered another typical Italian custom. The internet shop I used and prepaid for closed up on the weekend so the staff could have a holiday for the rest of August. No warning, no signs. It just didn't open one day. I figured it would open again soon, but they finally put a sign up indicating 'chiuso - ferie'. Closed for holidays. Like half of this city.

August is the time Italians take their holidays, and it appears to be one of the few Capitalist societies that doesn't care so much about their business. There are so many tourists here, and more each day it seems, but no, it's holiday time.

We've also seen this in local wine bar we often visit. The owners are Yuri and Sara and are very friendly. A few friends and I decided one night to make a potluck, and I offered to have it at my house, as it's one of the largest, but still very small. Ryan (a fellow Calgarian) talked to Yuri and asked if we could bring our food there. The plan was to make the food and Yuri and Sara would provide the wine and join us. Instead, he offered to close up the wine bar and bring a selection of wines to my place. Crazy! We didn't want them to close up, so we went there, where they provided all the dishes, cuttlery, bottles and bottles of wine, water, dessert cookies and finally a coffee thing at the end. There were 8 or 10 of us, and it cost 60 Euros.

We still don't know how they charge us, it's all so arbitrary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home